- A woman calls in and lies about who she is, saying she's being abused
- Texas "authorities" round up babies, toddlers, teens and mothers as if they were cattle
- Nursing babies are abused by those authorities by being separated from their mothers
- Toddlers are abused also, although at least they haven't had their only chance at nursing ended
- The whole community is being paraded in the news as a circus spectacle
This is the worst violation of basic human rights that I can imagine our country coming up with, short of declaring these people to be "3/5 human"! If there are abuses going on, and I'm sure that there are, is the way to prevent this to round up hundreds of the victims themselves and subject them to massive human rights violations? I fully consider depriving the infants from their mother's milk to be an aggressive act of abuse.
This is America. We sit in our warm, cozy houses thinking we have the perfect country, where our human rights are protected more than anywhere else in the world, and watch this debacle unfold on television, where it seems more like an HBO special happening to fictitious characters than something horrible happening to US citizens.
This is not right. And the most I've seen anyone suggest that I can do about it is sign an online petition sure to get ignored. I don't want to sit on my hands about this. Yet, what else can I do? This is a sad day for Democracy.
Update 1: Well, if you think that the Houston Rockets basketball team are responsible for the FLDS mess, there's another option. KSL reports that some are planning to protest the Jazz vs Rockets game, along with stalking the players at their hotel rooms. Brilliant!